The Izarraitz massif located in the Urola valley, within the municipalities of Azkoitia, Azpeitia and Zestoa, has been declared a Protected Natural Space and is spread over 1,531.5 hectares having three major mountains: Erlo (1026m), Kakute (942m) and Xoxote (930m).
It is an environment of undeniable beauty for the lovers of mountain and nature as it provides an opportunity to climb to the summits, trips, adventure sports...
In addition, the Xoxote mountain refuge offers full catering service and is an ideal starting point for carrying out activities on the massif.
How to get there:
- From Mendaro: through the Aranarreka (Kilimón) valley. Only on foot.• From the top of Azkarate: taking the GI-3210 Azkarate-Itziar road.
- On foot from the Aittola parking bay.
- On foot, starting from the centre of Azkoitia, Azpeitia and Zestoa.
- From Itziar: taking the GI-3210 road on the top between Itziar and Azkarate.
- From Sasiola: on the Lastur road.
- From Mendaro: through the Aranarreka (Kilimón) valley. Only on foot.
To see the hiking routes visit the Urolako Mendi Ibilbide Sarea
Download brochure: Izarraitz Nature pdf