Azkoitia, an adoptive town of the universal artist it has an exceptional vanguard architecture ensemble. By combining the ideas of Jorge Oteiza with the pelotazale tradition of the town these magnificent spaces have been built. A work inspired directly by Oteiza himself and designed by architect Carlos Ceballos and sculptor Antton Mendizabal.
Treasures of the valley
The chapel of La Soledad, in the Parish church of Azpeitia was built thanks to the donation of Nicolás Sáez de Elola, one of the captains who accompanied Pizarro in the conquest of Peru. Thanks to his last will granted in 1553, a public auction took place for the award of the works of the chapel which was assigned to Domingo de Rezabal and painting of the altarpiece to Andrés de Olabarrieta.
It is a 13th-century Gothic church, a building with solid construction that resembles a fortress located in the far north-east of the old quarter. It highlights the contrast between the sober exterior, where the defensive and volumetric character wins over the decorative value and in its interior we can see one of the most beautiful single nave Gothic spaces of the Basque Country.
The organ purchased by the parish church of Azkoitia in 1898 is one of the big cavaillé-coll organs of Gipuzkoa. This instrument is internationally well known as the prototype of romantic-symphonic organ. Moreover, it is the last big instrument made by the famous organ maker Aristide Cavaillé-Coll, as a month later after its inauguration, the Cavaillé-Coll house was sold to Charles Mutin.